Thursday, December 5, 2013

Peace in His Presence


Luke 2:14  “Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace 
among men, with whom He is pleased.”

Peace in His presence.  

Just those three words alone wash over me, making me thirst for just that; PEACE.

During this season of ever-growing to-do lists, social calendars so filled they lack room for stillness, a hustle and bustle so intense, there seems no time for peace in it all. 

If you are at all like me, you crave the peace more than ever right now.  You glance over at your glowing Christmas tree and yearn to actually sit by the serene warmth of the lights, inhaling the fresh evergreen scent.  You love this season of festivities and celebration, and want to enjoy it all, but just when does that happen?!  If you dare sit, just when will all that floods your calendar get done this month?! 

So you move forward, willing yourself to just keep on keeping on as you check off tasks on the list that is ever growing.  I keep telling myself that if I get it ALL done then I will sit.  I will relax.  I will find peace. 

But that nagging voice in my head is telling me that I have it all wrong.  

My lists and calendars are being filled in the opposite direction.  I need to first and foremost take the seat on my couch next to the evergreen tree, glowing with the beautiful lights and find my peace, in His presence. 

I need to look up at my evergreen tree that my family and I so carefully picked out and decorated and remind myself just why we even have this tree in our home.  I need to remember just whom I am celebrating, and what all of the extras on my to-do list is really all about.  

2013 years ago a tiny infant was brought into the world in the humblest of settings, birthed to two Earthly parents not much older than my oldest daughter.  The hustle and bustle of life went on around that baby that night, so many, many years ago, but PEACE was found for all who stopped to glorify Him.  

God came to us all in human form that night and in His presence, peace was found. 

We celebrate that gift, the most precious gift of all, in that baby that was born on that Holy night.  The evergreen of the trees we decorate serves as a reminder of His everlasting love for us.  The glow of the lights reminds us of the light that He sheds in the darkness of this fallen world.  The wreaths that adorn our doors are circles that have no end, reminding us that His love is never ending. 

I do not want to miss this season of celebration in all of the hustle and bustle, never ending to-do lists and social obligations.  

I am six days into Advent season, my tree is decorated, my wreaths are hung, and the lights are aglow.  And my Lord is waiting for me, waiting for me to sit in find my peace, in His presence.

Will you join me in vowing to make this a season of glorifying Him?  Taking the time to remind ourselves just why we have all of these “extras” in our life this season?  

It is all a celebration of the most wonderful gift that was ever given, freely given, for us all. 

So go get that cup of cocoa, plate a few cookies and sit by your tree.  Glance up at the magnificence and find your PEACE.







No comments:

Post a Comment